In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Ella... the witty one

The cat threw up on the carpet and left us to find it a few mornings ago. Don't you love that about cats? I told Ella not to touch the cat vomit.

"What is that?" she asked.

"Vomit," I repeated.

"What is vomit?"

"Throw-up."

"Oh," she said, understanding dawning. "Is vomit Spanish for throw-up?"


Then this morning, in our usual quest for a suitable breakfast for her, she told me, after considerable deliberation, that she wanted grapes on the Nemo plate. (This is a colorful carved fish-shaped plate someone brought back from a cruise for us.) Sure, great idea.

I got out the grapes and she came to help me pluck them off the vine and put them on the plate.

"Why are we putting grapes on the plate first?" she asked, my first hint of trouble.

"Didn't you ask for grapes on the Nemo plate?" I asked, a bit warily.

"No! Crepes on the Nemo plate!" Insert wailing. When did I start making everything to order??? And try to pack to leave for three days to go to the Carver's camp as I have been doing this morning?

I swear sometimes I feel like a waitress and a chef and a personal secretary not to mention teacher, poop cleaner, snot wiper, trash receptacle and sometimes even a punching bag.

Some really wonderful moments of this past week: the night it rained that really lovely, cool rain and we sat in the dark on the couch, kids asleep, windows wide open, feeling the relief from the day, the heat, the end of the drought.

When Mindy took Ella for the entire morning yesterday and gave me a much needed break.

Emilie buying me an iced coffee.

Getting our pictures from Amanda in the mail and seeing that they are even more beautiful to hold in my hands.

Realizing that this is the week our car payment would be due if we owed it but we don't because our car is PAID OFF!

Maya, clapping heartily, when I came through the door yesterday.

Sandi, coming home from a long two days away from me, and wrapping me up and feeling like home.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ahhh, the joys of being a mom AND/BUT BUT BUT even more wonderful-
the joys of being loved!!!
` )
jeanniine

 
Site Meter